Emergency Management Victoria: My Community Portal goes live
CeRDI is collaborating with Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) to support Community Based Emergency Management (CBEM) through the development of the My Community Portal, which was launched in March 2019.
A community-based approach to emergency management was introduced in 2016 to support people to build safer and more resilient communities. The approach relies on community expertise and local knowledge to enhance local decision making. A key strategy is to provide localised, reliable and up to date information, which will be available through the portal.
Over the past 12-months, CeRDI has been closely involved with developing the interactive platform to support individuals and communities to upload and share location based information, including via a web map, and access data, to improve their preparedness for emergencies.
The portal offers an intuitive and visual interface that easily facilitates the sharing of local expertise. The My Community Portal also enables communities and organisations to work together and plan for emergencies by supporting the gathering, publishing and sharing of information about:
- The people who live, work in and visit the community
- The assets, values and support systems of these people, including what they see as important
- Local priorities including the likely emergency scenarios that may affect the community
- What can be done, including what is already in place, what is considered acceptable and what can be improved
- The goals and actions to be completed by organisations, communities and organisations together, and by the community members themselves, and
- Different ways of learning and working together before, during and after times of need.
Information about the portal can be accessed at: http://www.cerdi.edu.au/cb_pages/emv-mcp.php