During in May 2009, Professor George Wright of the Durham Business School ran a scenario planning workshop with Wimmera young people and community leaders about the future of farming in the Wimmera given climate change and the changing nature of farming. The workshop produced four separate scenarios about how agriculture in the Wimmera may look in 10-15 years time:
- Hollowing out - World markets, ageing population and social change
- Dire climate change and genetically modified crops
- Going green by farming the land lean
- Viability of farming - New technology new markets
Draft copies of each of these scenarios are attached.
A follow up scenario planning workshop will be undertaken in the second half of this year to explore:
- Where are we as a region vulnerable
- Where are the opportunities which we may not yet have seen
- What adaptive actions do we need to take in order to achieve our aspirations for the region?
The final Scenario Planning Workshop will be undertaken in September/October 2009 and will be written up by December 2010.