Community Based Emergency Management Portal
CeRDI is collaborating with Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) to support a Community Based Emergency Management (CBEM) Portal.
A community-based approach to emergency management (EMV, 2016) was recently introduced to support people to build safer and more resilient communities. This approach relies on community expertise and local knowledge to enhance local decision making. A key element of this is to provide localised, reliable and up to date information, which will be available through the portal.
Information in the portal will be provided in an intuitive and visual manner and by providing opportunities to share local expertise. Community based emergency practices will be supported through access to new technologies. The My Community Portal will also enable communities and organisations to work together and plan for emergencies by supporting the gathering, publishing and sharing of information about:
- The people who live, work in and visit the community
- The assets, values and support systems of these people, including what they see as important
- Local priorities including the likely emergency scenarios that may affect the community
- What can be done, including what is already in place, what is considered acceptable and what can be improved
- The goals and actions to be completed by organisations, communities and organisations together, and by the community members themselves, and
- Different ways of learning and working together before, during and after times of need.
CeRDI will be instrumental in the development of an interactive platform enabling communities to both upload and share location based information, including via a web map, and access data to improve their preparedness for emergencies. In Victoria, fire and flood represent the greatest number of these emergencies, with landslides also an issue in some coastal areas. The aim of My Community Portal is to support people to develop, access, use and improve community based information and enhanced ICT systems, to make safer and more informed decisions – that lead to action. Initially twenty communities will be engaged through the My Community Portal project.
Emergency Management Victoria: My Community Portal goes live - 18 March 2019
CeRDI is collaborating with Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) to support Community Based Emergency Management (CBEM) through the development of the My Community Portal, which was launched in March 2... Continue reading...